Sunday, February 28, 2010

Amphora

Oh Amphora... such an odd mixture of Greek and well, everything else. One of the only 24 hour sit down restaurants in the area (that is not a chain), Amphora captures much of the diner spirit in an eclectic and somewhat international style. Can you call it style? Well, go there and you decide. It suffers a bit from schizophrenia, as seen in the split dinning areas (one side diner, one side restaurant), the 42 page menu (ok maybe not 42 pages, but really... it goes on and on), or the choice between Mexican, Greek, Italian, and American fare (oh wait, do they have egg rolls?). Regardless, if you have a hankering for a cheap breakfast at any time of day or night, roll on over to Amphora and you can have it.

The food will definitely be prompt and hot. Fresh? Not so sure ... But shoot, who really needs fresh when you are eating fried eggs, fried bacon, fried potatoes and the like?! My server called me "honey" and my coffee cup and water glass were never empty. If you suffer from indecision like I do, prepare yourself here. Go decadent with the Banana's Foster French Toast, satisfy your picky eaters with "create your own omelet", Hollandaise lovers will be delighted with the entire section of the menu dedicated to the sauce, or go international with the Greek Pocket, Breakfast pizza, or Huevos Rancheros.

It is not McDonalds fast food, so don't expect to find a $1 menu but the prices are pretty reasonable ($5.50 - $10 for most; steak and crab obviously jack up the prices).

I've heard there is a weekend breakfast/brunch but haven't experienced it myself so I don't know if it is much different than the usual. Have you had it? They also have an entire bakery affiliated with the restaurant that has gotten good reviews.

I went to the location in Vienna. There is a cooler looking diner version in Herndon.

-- S. Coffin

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I worked at the bakery in Herndon. It was...special. I never went to either of their restaurants though. I could bear the thought of being at another Amphora eatery after working 10 hours in the bakery. I did make all the pies for all the locations though. Neat, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fun! Any pictures or stories to share?! And did you mean that you couldN'T bear the thought or that you really could? ....

    ReplyDelete