Friday, February 19, 2010

Smith and Clarkson's

When traveling through middle-of-nowhere America, dining along your way usually produces restaurants in a particular mold: American staples (usually fried) on the menu and not so modern decor. Some of these places are real gems of *ahem* unhealthy, really tasty treats! Smith and Clarkson's fits the mold perfectly ... except that it is in Northern Virginia, right near an entrance to 495.

The inside is an awkward little 'L' shape, the ceiling seems too high, the lighting is industrial, the interior "design" is drab, and the people are ... well, I'll just say that I don't think they discuss cheerfulness and hospitality at their shift meetings. Our fellow diners were mostly men, many in jumpsuits. While you won't go there for the ambiance, it is a classic if you want really good diner food.

The ordering concept threw me off a little so let me prepare you. They have it set up for herding people through the restaurant. You are directed by half walls to the counter where menus, cashiers, and guests that entered behind you are all staring at you, waiting for your order. I stepped aside and let someone go ahead of me while I chose. They give you a number with your receipt which is called out either by the short order cooks or the cashier when ready.
The food was awesome, as evidenced by the fact that it was gone before I remembered to take a picture. They have quite the variety, from burritos to eggs Benedict to omelets. I ordered a Breakfast sandwich with egg, sausage, and cheese. Each was cooked to perfection, pipping hot, and obviously real (ie. not carton liquid 'egg').

My Breakfast mate ordered "Plate #5": Corned beef hash with 2 eggs and toast. While it was far too much food to eat in one sitting, the homemade corned beef hash (something I would not have ordered) was actually quite tasty and, to the connoisseur who ordered it, it was perfect! She got her eggs scrambled and they got another thumbs up there.
We saw some homemade muffins, shoved in a glass case up front (still in the pan ... I don't think presentation is much of a concern), and decided to test their baking skills as well. The muffin was very moist but way too sweet for my Breakfast mate.

At a neighboring table we watched as one gentleman consumed one of the "Plates" as well as the French Toast Combo, quite the feat considering the size of both of those things. At other tables the pancakes and omelets were hits with the kids. I am definitely coming back here to try the french toast, waffles, and pancakes. Their waffle is a made-from-scratch malted Belgian waffle cooked to a golden perfection. Their french toast looked thick, perfectly golden, and crispy. Their pancakes took up the entire plate and again, the golden color made my mouth water. They've got that griddle in the back in good hands!
And for you coffee shop die hards, they serve "Seattle's Best" and have local art for sale on the walls.

No frills, just enough grease .. a real winner in my book. Call me if you are going.

Mon. - Fri. 6am - 4pm
Sat. 7am - 4pm
Sun. 8am - 3pm
(They also deliver/carry out. Check out online ordering for quick service!)

--S.Coffin

No comments:

Post a Comment